Can we arrange airport transfer?
Yes. Airport transfer is available for $65 each way with a maximum of 6 passengers.
What is the weather like this time of year?
For current weather forecasts and historical averages click here: K59
What is the airport code?
SAL-San Salvador, El Salvador
Are there restaurants nearby?
For being such an out of the way destination there are actually quite a few different options for eating. Just down the road there is an Italian woman who will make you any of a variety of authentic Italian dishes. Also on offer is a ceviche bar as well as a great little restaurant that shows surf movies at night. You may find that there is no need to wander though as EVERY NIGHT there is a different custom plate on offer right at the hotel.
Is there an ATM nearby?
No. You will want to bring enough cash with you upon departure or stop at an ATM along your drive in Costa Rica, with the last good chance to find a working ATM being in Gulfito. For convenience the hotel restaurant accepts paypal and provides most things a person would want while on vacation. That being said, a little cash is always nice in case you would like to explore a different place to eat or hit the local tiendas and stimulate the economy a bit.
If I change my mind while I'm there can I still get a rental car?
Yes! Just let us know that you would like a rental car and for $80(not including the car rental fee) one can be delivered to your driveway.
Where can I rent a car?
SURFEX will be happy to assist you in your rental needs. Just click on the "RENTAL CARS" tab OR rent via your favorite method using the pick-up destination of Golfito or San Jose, Costa Rica depending upon your needs.
How are the roads?
Roads have rapidly improved over the years and most of the driving is on wide roads or paved two lane roads, however the very Southern region is still mostly grated dirt roads and signage is "hard to find" to say the least. This region does not allow your iPhone or Google Maps to mindlessly steer you to your destination so it is VERY IMPORTANT to have a good map and have studied your planned route before beginning your drive. Due to the massive amounts of rainfall the roads are always subject to landslides and pot holes(as well as a stray cow crossing once in a while) so stay alert at all times.
Do I get picked up in Golfito?
We can arrange an airport transfer for $80 usd or rent a car and complete the remaining 1-2hr drive at your own pace. It is beautiful country and lots of opportunities for photos.
How much does it cost to fly from SJO to Golfito?
Prices always fluctuate but you can generally purchase a round trip ticket for about $275 usd.
What is the airport code?
SJO - San Jose, Costa Rica(Juan Santa Maria) is the most commonly used for travel to the south of the Country. From here you have the option of booking a regional flight with Sansa Airlines to Golfito or renting a car and making the long yet beautiful 7hr drive south at your own pace.
What is the airport code?
Are there places to eat near the accommodations?
Yes, but remember they are very limited and when dining in Nicaragua all meals are automatically hit with a 10% tip %15 tax which totals an additional 25% to any eating. We highly recommend our meal plan for an additional $35/Day/Adult and $15/Day/Child. Our meal plan includes taxes, all the groceries AND the cook. Colorados Beach Club Restaurant
- Location: At the community beach club in front of Colorados surf break. Just a 1 minute walk from the Rio Dulce condos. Ocean View!
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Price: $5-$30
- Menu: The breakfast menu consists of specialty coffee drinks, smoothies, Acai bowls, breakfast burritos and baked goods. Most days there are specials as well. The lunch menu is a variety of dishes, nachos, burrito, wraps and burger. The dinner menu is Basque inspired cooking with pasta, bruschetta, salads and a few nightly specials.
- Location: Close to the second security gate in Hacienda Iguana, downstairs in the second building over from the gate, next to NSR Surf Shop and below Don Eloy’s.
- Meals: Breakfast and Lunch (Closed Mondays)
- Price: $5-$20
- Menu: Offers breakfast sandwiches on croissants or a bagel, waffles, baked goods, smoothies, specialty coffee and some lunch items; tacos and quesadillas and a lunch special. There is also a small market here with some of the essentials.
- Location: Close to the second security gate in Hacienda Iguana, upstairs in the second building over from the gate, above NSR Surf Shop.
- Meals: Lunch & Dinner (only dinner in the slow season)
- Price: $10-$40
- Menu: American cuisine including fish and chicken sandwiches, burgers, wings, dinner plates (fish, chicken, steak and pasta) and pizza.
- Location: Turn left outside of the main Iguana gate. Follow the road for about 2 kilometers and you will see the sign for the restaurant on your left. About 15 minutes travel.
- Meals: Lunch & Dinner
- Price: $5-$15
- Menu: Great local cuisine including fresh fish, lobster and sometime shrimp, along with nachos and burritos.
Are there ATM's nearby?
No. The closest ATM is about 45 minutes away. Our drivers stop at this point for any grocery shopping and money you feel necessary for your trip.
How long does the ride from the airport take?
It is about a 2.5-3 hour trip from Managua to Playa Colorado.
My friends and I don't surf, can we use the boat trips to fish?
Yes, absolutely! There is amazing fishing in this region and the experienced captains will get you in the right spot.
Is airport transfer available to non premium package customers?
Yes. If you are traveling with a group of three or less it is a $100 charge and $150 for a group or 4-6.
Do they provide surfboard racks?
Surfex recommends always bringing your own set of Surf Tie Downs(if you do not own a set or are not sure where to buy them, this link will help get your search started: Premium Tie Downs. to ensure quality and availability. If you don't own any or it just isn't convenient to bring any Surf Tie Downs may usually be rented for $5-$10 for the duration of your trip.
Basic vs. Full Coverage Rental Insurance
Costa Rica mandates a minimum insurance for drivers much like the U.S.A. and our rentals are offered with two different types: BASIC INSURANCE- This is an additional $12-30/DAY(dependent upon vehicle style) and requires a $750 hold/deposit on a CREDIT CARD(not a debit card, gift card or otherwise). It is the MINIMUM REQUIREMENT to get onto the roadways of this beautiful country and with payment of a deductible covers collisions and roll overs. In case of damages to third parties, the Instituto Nacional de Seguros requires payment of 20% of the total damages caused to other people's property. ZERO DEDUCTIBLE INSURANCE- This Option is an additional $12-15/DAY(dependent upon vehicle style) added to the BASIC INSURANCE FEE and requires a $100 hold/deposit on a CREDIT CARD. This coverage has zero deductible in case of collision or roll over. This still requires the payment of 20% of damages to third party property if found at fault. *"Third Party Property Insurance" is the only way to avoid a 20% payment in case of an "at fault" accident involving third party damages and is available for $7/DAY.
What type of vehicle should I rent?
The Toyota Rav 4 and Hyundai Tucson rule Costa Rica and is probably what you will want. If you have more than 4 travelers or are accommodating lots of boards/luggage you may desire the Toyota Land Cruiser or Montero Sport to give you a bit more room inside the car.